Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A story: Choosing the best insurance

Following the end of their lives there were three men approaching the Great Underwriter and at the door of his Office they were met by the Chief claims inspector, Chief Peter.

The first man approached Chief Peter and he handed over not one, but one hundred and one life insurance policies. It appeared that he had been to every life insurance broker on the planet. He had taken out a policy with anyone and everyone who had said they were underwritten by the Great Underwriter. He was supremely confident that at least one of his claims would be validated by Chief Peter and he’d be allowed able to live forever in comfort. Chief Peter took a handful of his policies and began to leaf through them, tut-tutting as he did. The man began to get nervous and asked Peter – “What’s wrong?” Peter said – “I’m sorry but these policies are not valid.” “But the brokers all told me that they were valid. OK, so I had to fulfil a few conditions for some of them whilst I was alive, like not eating meat or praying five times a day, but surely at least one of them I did all right,” replied the man. “Oh, you certainly did Ok according to what the brokers said,” said Chief Peter, “but the Great Underwriter doesn’t use brokers and doesn’t underwrite any of these policies, so I’m afraid you can’t enter.”

The second man approached Chief Peter. He had nothing to hand over, but he did have a very confident look about him. He said to Chief Peter, “Gidday Chief, how’re ya going? I’m sure you’ve got me somewhere on file.” Chief Peter, who was used to people turning up without their policy documents, took down his details and pulled out his latest techno-wizz, handheld computer (he’s always been one for the latest gadgets). After a few moments he turned to the man and said, “I’m sorry but you are not listed as a policy holder?” “What do you mean not listed?” said the man, “I’ve paid my dues – I’ve been a good man, always prepared to give someone a helping hand, not ripping anyone off, trying to tell the truth.” Chief Peter had another look at his computer and replied – “Yes, I can see you tried pretty hard, but frankly you fell well short of the perfection required by the Great Underwriter. You know, the Great Underwriter wanted you to succeed but you never accepted the message that it is not something you can do on your own – you could never do enough to pay the premium– you did need to take out the policy on offer.” The man’s self-confidence burst like a bubble and he turned and slowly walked away.

The third man approached Chief Peter. He shuffled a bit, and wouldn’t look the Chief in the eye. He handed over a scruffy looking piece of paper and said – “I couldn’t pay for the premium myself so I signed up with this bloke who said he’d pay the premium for me – I think he lives here.” Chief Peter, thought ‘Here we go again – someone else who’s great uncle Herbert is meant to have the inner line an short cut to the Office.’ But when he looked at the piece of paper and checked on his computer he nearly jumped for joy and his face broke into a big smile and he said to the man – “Come in, come in, you are most welcome.” The man hesitated, “Are you sure?” Chief Peter said, “Of course I’m sure – the Great Underwriter himself paid for your premium – the cost was huge, but worth it. As you know you could never have paid for it yourself – all you did was to recognise that and accept the gift. Well done.”

John Pickering, December 2004