Sunday, August 13, 2006

My role as Chaplain

My role as a Chaplain is to walk beside you from time to time on your journey. For how long and what part of your journey depends a lot on you. I am on campus not just for Christian students, although, obviously, I come from a Christian perspective. For those of you with other faiths or no-religious affiliation, please do not hesitate to seek me out – I may be able to help you talk some things through. For the Christian students on campus – studying can be pretty intense. It can also throw up some unexpected challenges to your faith. I am here to listen and support you with your decision making, your understanding of who you are and what God wants of you, and with any issues – theological or secular – that you just want an opportunity to discuss.


About me – obviously I am a Christian. I worship at St Christopher’s Anglican church in Avonhead. I have a degree in theology from the UK that took me seven years part-time during which I never once spoke with a tutor of lecturer! My main focus in life is to be the husband and Father God wants me to be. This said, I have had a lot of experience at juggling the demands of study, family, and work.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of what it means to be a student. I spent 6 ½ years studying Physics at the University of Canterbury in the 80s and then some years as a research scientist. More recently I spent about 7 years running support services for international students. In the last couple of years I have had my own businesses, one of which has involved training a lot of other people in pastoral care of international students.

¬1Peter 3:15 “…Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” describes what I see as my mission.
Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God…” comes to my mind when I think about my favourite hobby. Guess the hobby.
My favourite Biblical word – Grace and the verse to go with it 1John 1:9 “If we confess our sins he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”