Sunday, August 13, 2006

Poem: Lament for a child lost overseas

I came with broken heart
It has gone cold
Ice pierces my soul

Was giving my child to you not enough
That you must break her too

Broken wings don’t fly
Time is no healer
There is no relief in metaphors
Platitudes don’t bring justice

As for you High and Mighty one
Aloof, distant, cold
Do you not care
Do you not remember
His body broken on the tree
His pierced side
His anguished cry

Did you grieve as I grieve
Suffer as I suffer
Weep as I weep

You warmed his heart
Warm hers
Shatter the ice, melt the darkness
My God, My God, do not abandon us

The lament is dedicated to the Chinese father who lost his son through violence on our shores a few weeks ago and to all those who bring children into the world with such hope and joy only to find someone violently strips it from them.