Monday, June 18, 2007

DotCom 11: Passion, prayer, power in Habakkuk

He sat down, checked BBCnews and CNN - a story about a little girl kidnapped and murdered was the last straw. He let rip - "God - why do you allow this violence. how can you tolerate it any longer, you let the wicked get away with murder!!!!"

At least, that is how I imagine it would be for Habakkuk if he was around today. Read the first 4 verses of chapter 1 and you'll see what I mean.

God's response to Habakkuk's, and potentially our, cry for justice and an end to all that is wrong with the world (and church, and family, and ....) is both frustrating and puzzling. He says that things are going to get worse and I'm the cause of it .... "I'm raising up the Babylonians" (the "social engineers", the "church Liberals", the "drug dealers" who will corrupt your son....).

Frankly, I find this one of the most confusing and frustrating passages of the Bible. I fully understand Habakkuk's response (1:12-2:1) when he says, effectively, "Whoa there God - I can't accept this lying down - I thought you were good and perfect and almighty and just and ....." and "I'm so confident that you are those things I'm going to watch carefully for what you are going to do...."

God's response is very gracious - he gives Habakkuk a revelation - one to write down for all of us. He let's Habakkuk in on his own anguish at the awful sins of the people - their greed, arrogance, infidelity, idol worship etc. He also assures Habakkuk of his own triumph and the sure knowledge that the early will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord (2:14). This is awe inspiring for Habakkuk and he then turns to God in fear and trembling, yet with faith acknowledging God's power, and right to act as he so chooses and his position to wait and watch (chapter 3, especially 3:16-19

SOME LESSONS FOR ME

1. We should be indignant at all the evil and injustice in the world. My prayer is that I am never so insensitive to suffering and injustice that I can just watch the news and not be moved by it.
2. We should take this to God and plead for changes. These may be pleas for changes in the world, our city, our church, our family, ourselves. God won't turn around and tell us off for our passionate pursuit of justice - even if we accuse him of doing nothing (for it sure feels that way at times!). Honesty is the best policy!
3. God's answer may be unexpected (I don't like this one, but that's what's in the text!).
4. God makes use of all things - even evil people for his own ends. God is in control is what I can take from this - even when I don't see how.
5. When I don't see how things can get better, or how God is acting I need to focus on God's character - on the things I know about God for certain - his faithfulness, love, mercy, justice, power.
6. I do need to be patient and watch. I think this involves both the "leaving things in God's hands" and the being pro-active in watching for what he will do. I don't believe this is a resignation of defeat or a fatalism ... going to the watch tower and watching and waiting for God's response is a positive hopeful, expectant, action.
7. I must acknowledge God's sovereignty and praise him for who he is, even if I find it scary. I think this is recognising that God has a plan that is bigger - much bigger - than me or indeed anything I can conceive. That he bothers to consider me and my moaning and groaning is a sign of his mercy and his power. However, I need acknowledge his overall wisdom and his right to rule history (mine, the church's, the nation's, the world's)