Monday, June 11, 2007

How should Christians vote? 1. Vote

So - I'm politically minded - please forgive me. I happen to think it important for Christians to be that way. As this is not election year in NZ, I thought I'd blog a little about "How Christian's should vote" (note - not who they should vote for). I'll try to be party politically neutral!

The first decisions Christians should make is that they should vote. In NZ, this means they should vote in both local body and national elections.

What's my reason for saying this? Of course, Jesus didn't vote - there was no democracy for him to vote in. In fact, the Bible gives no direct command to vote. What it does indicate is that political authorities derive their authority from God (Jesus said as much to Pilate). It is clear that we must pray for those in authority. It is also clear that we are to be the salt of the earth - preserving that which is good. I can't see how we can pray, but not participate, or be the salt of the earth - but not even cast a vote. This is like trying to swim without getting wet.

During the last election campaign I had people tell me, proudly, that they wouldn't vote. It was as if they believed they held some higher moral position by doing so. To me, this would be like Jesus saying - I won't talk to Zacchaeus because I'm better than him. By failing to engage with our broader community - and that includes the political one - we fail to be the people God created us to be.

Furthermore, I believe voting is a necessary requirement of citizenship. Anyone who has an opinion about how the government should behave, yet does not exercise their opportunity to shape that government, has, to me, given up their rights to protection by that government beyond the rights that a foreigner has.

So - get out and vote.